Sunday, April 28, 2013
Here is the second painting done at Maranatha High School for the Mid Valley Art League, Saturday In The Park with the Masters event. My initial sketch is shown at the top, followed by the final painting in progress, and the final painting, at 90% complete.
I decided to mount my train station model to a 3/4" piece of plywood, add some scale size track with ballast, and add some landscaping. This will be a stand alone display model, with an acrylic case, to match my other architectural models. Here is my progress so far.
Friday, April 26, 2013
The wall mural is progressing nicely. I needed some additional help though from Google Maps and Google Earth. They provided slightly different views that are helping me work out some of the building details that were unclear in my original photograph.
I am working about 20 - 30 minutes during lunch time every other day or so. After starting with Sharpie pens, I have gone back to using Montana acrylic markers because I have a little more confidence in the light fastness of acrylic paint.
Sunday, April 21, 2013
I went to Maranatha High School yesterday with members of the Mid Valley Art League to participate in the ninth annual Saturday In The Park with the Masters event. These are images from my first painting session. It is a scene of the formal garden that has a large grassy area with a vine-covered pergola at one end and a covered veranda at the other. The morning sun was casting long shadows across the space.
I did a quick study sketch in my Aquabee Sketchbook to work out the composition, design, and colors using pen, watercolor and gouache. I used a 14" x 20" 140# Arches cold press paper for the final painting, beginning with a rough sketch in pencil, going over it with a Uniball Micro pen, accenting the shadows with a Pentel Sign Pen before painting it with watercolor. I finished it with white gouache for the highlights and a few touches of white and bright yellow pastel in the foreground.
Thursday, April 18, 2013
This is an 11" x 14" painting of the Gamble House in Pasadena. I used watercolor, pen and ink, and gouache on 140# Arches hot press paper. It will be for sale at Galerie Gabrie in Pasadena.
Monday, April 15, 2013
After reviewing the initial prototype sketch with Rameen, we decided that it was too thick and heavy-handed. Part of this was due to my struggle to master the Montana acrylic markers. It was difficult to use them vertically. The second prototype (on the right) was done using Sharpie markers and an AD marker. This captured the light feeling and looseness of the original ink pen drawing.
The bottom image shows the new prototype temporarily attached to the wall with push pins.
Friday, April 12, 2013
Today we projected the wireframe drawing onto the wall and I over-traced it with a Sharpie marker. I will fill in the remaining details using my original drawing as a guide, so as not to have to rely on the projected image anymore.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
I went on a hike a few weeks ago and as usual, brought along my sketchbook. I had some down time waiting for my companion so I did a few quick sketches at the trail head, one at the top of the hill, and one on the way back (which I did while walking). I used a Sanford Uniball Micro pen, and enhanced the major lines with a water-soluble Pentel Sign Pen. I painted everything later in my studio, making up the colors.
I snuck in a sketch of a car wash that I did earlier, and then revised the other day with gouache.
Something I like to do occasionally is to go through earlier paintings and see if I can improve them. It might take a year or more before I know how to approach an old painting with a new vision of what it can be. I did these last weekend.
The top two were reworked with pastels. The third one was attacked with watercolor, more paint, and more vibrant paint. I have a tall stack of these average works so this will keep me busy for many weekends to come.
We are finished with the prototyping phase of this project. Using the 30" x 30" gesso'd foam core panel I prepared last week, I projected a full-size section of the final drawing and traced it over with pencil, then went over it again with Montana acrylic markers, working vertically on my studio wall to simulate the actual conditions of drawing on the final wall.
Friday, April 5, 2013
I have a 1980's vintage Art BIn that I use to carry my art supplies when I am working out of the studio. It is a faithful and sturdy companion, but a little too small. I have started incorporating pastels and gouache into my work, which called for a larger box. Hence, the three-tray Art Bin, shown filled with everything I need for a weekend of sketching and painting.